Pages

27 April, 2014

Remick/Gowell/Chase Dilemma

I'm trying to work through the parents of Sarah Gowell (1682-1750) who married Thomas Chase (1679-1767). Some on ancestry had her parents listed as Richard Gowell (1646-1749) and Hannah Remick (1656-1749). (Hannah Remick was daughter of Christian Remick of Netherlands and Hannah Foster.) Richard and Hannah were born and died in Kittery, Maine, so at first I disregarded this link and set out to find out who Sarah's parents really were.

I didn't get very far. Couldn't seem to locate an alternate set of parents for Sarah. So, I took a second look at the family from Kittery. I discovered that Sarah's mother Hannah's brother, named Abraham Remick, married Elizabeth Freeman of Eastham, Massachusetts (here on Cape Cod) and settled there. Her aunt named Sarah Remick also married Barnabas Wixon from the Cape and died in Eastham. That got me wondering if perhaps Sarah could have accompanied her uncle or somehow been introduced to Thomas Chase of Yarmouth (not far from Eastham) who she married. It began to seem more plausible that Richard Gowell and Hannah Remick of Maine could be her parents.


BUT... upon searching for records of the Gowell/Remick couple, I find that Gowell was Hannah Remick's second marriage, and according to a few sources, she married Richard Gowell after Sarah's date of birth. Hmmmm..... there goes my theory??

Another source I found indicated that Sarah Gowell had her first child in Maine, and the rest in Yarmouth, Massachusetts, and that she then died in Maine. I wondered if somehow the couple moved between her family in Maine and his in Massachusetts a few times during their marriage.
 
Kittery, Maine
photo by Mariano Mantel

But why would they do that? The same source cited Sarah's husband Thomas Chase as being involved in the French and Indian wars. Could this have been a reason for their moving back and forth?

Maddeningly, I apparently forgot to bookmark this source and I can 't find it again! Gaaaah! I will continue to work on this family. The dates don't seem to match up, but I find it intriguing that Abraham Gowell married an Eastham girl. It makes me think that a connection with Sarah is likely, but I can't find the threads that connect up. I will update this entry if and when I find the answers, so if anyone knows what the deal is here and can enlighten me on it, PLEASE do let me know!

[update on this mystery here]


4 comments:

  1. See Maine Wills, 1640-1760 Richard Gowell His will names a daughter Sarah Chase but does not identify her mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katherine,
    I may be able to help you. I am a direct descendent of Christian Remick of Kittery Maine. Someone in my extended family has done some very major work on our Family Tree that dates to the 1st Century. If you are still on your quest, let me know here and we can figure out a way that I can get the information you desire.
    Tim Schreier (NY, NY)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tim, Thanks for stopping by! Yes, I'd love to see any info you may have on Christian Remick, etc! My direct email is ancestryangel@gmx.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katherine and Tim, Christian Remick is my 8th Great Grandfather and I am doing some research as well for my direct family members and I to enjoy. Eliot Remick was my Grandfather who lived and died in Chelmsford, Mass. I'd love to Collaborate with you as well. Tim, would it be possible for me to tap into your family members tree? Wow, first Century. Katherine, Im not sure I can help, but would certainly put the effort in. Zach_lund@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete